Did someone ever ask you, “what’s your comfort food”?
For both of us, there wasn’t a standard definition when it comes to comfort food. If it makes us happy, whenever so, that’s the one! I guessed. And for our case, we have quite a few on the list, as it’s delicious serving just makes us comfortable and happy enough. However, if we have to mention one of them, seem like pasta has won the race.
Pasta has been a staple food for us all year round, it’s the best carbon for us to cook all the time and anytime. It gives us rooms of creativity, especially the homemade ones, it textures never have disappointed us.
Remember the first time I step into a kitchen, the first dishes I ever made, it was tomato based pasta, before that it wasn’t my all time favorite maybe because of the raw taste of the tomato, the paste that I have tried then was too sweet and there wasn’t much flavor that suits my taste bub. When I get older, I start to love tomato based pasta, and when it’s cook with herbs the flavor just elevate. It simple but the taste just way more than you could imagine.
I have been telling myself, enjoy food from good chef no matter where they come from, and also to cook more and experience a better life in what we eat. There goes, “you are what you eat”!
This Friday, we absolutely love to share one of our all-time favorites tomato based pasta for your weekend brunch – Tomato Basil Chicken Mozzarella Bolognese. Most of the time bolognese can be oily. Trust us for once, unlike the others bolognese out there, you probably wouldn’t feel the greasy at all. It’s rich in flavor thus it has a light texture when you have your first bite, subsequently, you will just ask for more after every serving.
Well, at least my sister, Angela has already finished 2 full serving when I’m preparing the second pot of the pasta. We promised It will be the family all time favorite pasta from now on. Shall we get started?
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 heirloom or regular tomato, finely chopped*
- 1 rounded cup heirloom cherry tomatoes or regular cherry tomatoes, halved*
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Preheat the pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Following with the ground chicken and brown all over, breaking up the chicken as it cooks. Subsequently, add in the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add in both the cherry and regular tomatoes, plus any juice left on the cutting board (if you prefer, you can chop the large tomato in a food processor for fast prep) to the skillet. Cook another minute and then add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, red wine, balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup of water. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened just slightly. Season to taste with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and boil the pasta until al dente. Drain. Preheat the broiler to high. Remove the bolognese from the heat and stir in the basil + parmesan
- Finally, add in the pasta to oven safe bowls and spoon the bolognese over the pasta. Spread the mozzarella cheese on top and place under the broiler for 30 seconds to 1 minute. WATCH IT CLOSELY, this goes quick!
- Remove and serve immediately with fresh basil and parmesan.
And here is it, your very own Tomato Basil Chicken Parmesan Bolognese! It is really simple and tasty, I have to stop here my sister finishes all of it and left nothing for me. Most of all, we hope that you’ll be enjoying our recipe. Please try it and do share us your thoughts by sending us emails, tag us on Instagram or twitter .